Monday, November 16, 2009

Beans, beans the musical fruit...

This is almost a guest post from my lovely and talented mom, but not quite. You see, she was recently at my house for a visit and made me this delicious bean soup (and homemade bread!) while I was at work and was kind enough to take pictures so I'd know how to make it myself. Sooner or later she's going to make her own blog, but for now, I'll just steal her recipes and claim them as my own.

Mom's Bean Soup

Get beans. Navy ones. Dump into a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Mom's mom says this "gets the gas out." Mmm-hmm.

Drain beans, dump into a bowl and cover with cold water. Allow them to soak overnight. The water may turn funny colors. Fear not!

Put drained beans in a pot with fresh water and add some cubed ham and chicken broth and carrots and salt.

Simmer, simmer, simmer til the beans are soft and the carrots are done.

Eat, dunking in fresh and delicious bread to scoop up the beany goodness.

5 comments:

Suldog said...

I love a good bean soup. I'll have to make one this coming weekend. Thanks for the impetus!

MOM said...

Sweetie, You forgot the pepper and the onion the celery or celery seed in the soup too, and parboiling in 2 tsp of baking soda not just water. Although it probably wouldn't matter, you still get gas.......

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

I can almost taste it from here!! There's nothing like a Mom's homemade meal, is there?!

I've missed stopping by to 'see' you. Hope all is well in your world, Sarah.

xoxox

Suburban Correspondent said...

Well, now I know what's for dinner tomorrow night!

Sandi McBride said...

My grandmother always put in a tsp of baking soda to the first "boil and drain" to "get the gas out" lol...this sounds like a perfect meal on a cold winter's night...how lucky were you to have that waiting on you when you got home from work! And the bread...the bread...
Sandi